Searching the digitalmars.com/d website

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:20:49 PDT 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:39:27 -0300
Ary Borenszweig <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

> Sorry for brining this topic again, but there's something that really
> worries me (not that I cannot sleep at night, but...)
>
> Take this page:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/function.html
>
> There are some big headers there: "pure functions", "nothrow
> functions", "ref functions", "virtual functions", "Function
> Inheritance and Overriding", "Function Overloading", etc.
>
> Searching *any* of those phrases (without the quotes) leads to
> results other than that page. Searching them with quotes further
> restrict the results, sometimes resulting in none.
>
> Maybe that specific page is not being indexed by that search box. But
> it doesn't seem to be the case. I tried other random searches over
> other page headers:
>
> - "Linkage Attribute" in
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/attribute.html: not what I was
> looking for.
> - "Properties for Floating Point Types" in
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/property.html: not what I was
> looking for.
> - "Class Properties" in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/class.html:
> not what I was looking for.
> - getVirtualFunctions in
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/traits.html: found it.
> - "Order Of Evaluation" in
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/expression.html: no...
>
> I'm starting to think that some pages aren't being indexed. For
> example in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/expression.html there's
> this phrase: "The following binary expressions are evaluated in an
> implementation-defined order". When I search it, with quotes, it
> leads to www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/.../std_algorithm.html (not what I
> was looking for)
>
> However, when searching that same phrase in Google (not the Goolge
> search-box in digitalmars.com/d), the first result is the expression
> page for D2, the second is the same one for D1, etc.
>
> Should I report a bug for this? I wanted to discuss it here first
> because maybe somebody knows what's going on...

You will probably find that when you have the correctly constructed
query google is also easier to find things on the news groups. I also
find google the easiest way to find anything on any site so I just use
google otherwise I would be very busy reporting bugs / suggestions to
every site I have ever searched.