proposed syntax change

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:51:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:35:41PM -0300, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> No. When porting C, C++, Java or C# code just search "//" and replace it
> with "--".

Problem with this is old habit. I find myself annoyed with languages that
don't accept // comments just because I'm so used to typing them that it
is my first instinct to comment a line.

Doing a find and replace of // with something else is fairly simple
(it isn't trivial, since "//" != "--" even if // == --, but that's not too
hard to work with), but retraining fingers to type something new is a pain
to do.

> Oh wait... I think "--" is used elsewhere.

Secondly, as to why I asked if it was a joke: how can someone use D or C++
and not know that // already has a meaning? I find it very hard to believe
that someone can have any real world experience in the language at all and
not know that // is in use.

If you don't have any real world experience in the language, or at least in
its direct predecessor (C++), what business do you have proposing breaking
changes to it?

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net