Memory allocation problem

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Aug 8 18:45:26 PDT 2009

In a small program on Windows XP I have to allocate a large chunk of RAM, about 1847 MB of RAM. This PC has 2 GB RAM. So I use std.c.stdio.malloc(), with DMD v1.042 (or v2.031). But it's not able to allocate it, and produces at runtime:
Error: Access Violation

An equal program written in C and compiled with GCC, that allocates the same amount of memory using malloc, is able to run (with just a little hard disk trashing at the beginning).
Do you know why DMD doesn't allow me to allocate more RAM, and can this be fixed?

Bye,
bearophile