Properties in C# and prop_Foo

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sun Aug 9 04:19:31 PDT 2009

On 2009-08-09 00:23:06 -0400, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> said:

> Dang I remembered wrong from what I read yesterday.  C# turns it into
>
> int get_Thing() { return _thing; }
> void set_Thing(int value) { _thing = value; }
>
> I don't recall anyone proposing exactly that for D.  There was
> prop_Thing, and there was getThing.  So what C# uses is a mix of
> those.

This has been proposed by Andrei at some point.

What's different in C# from the get/set_thing proposal (well, not 100%
sure but almost) is that the compiler doesn't infer the property from
the presence of a getter or setter with the right name, you must
explcitly tell it there's a property for a given name. I'd be
equivalent to:

	int get_Thing();
	void set_Thing(int);

	property Thing (getter: get_Thing; setter: set_Thing);

where "property thing" reserves the symbol "thing" for a property with
the given getter/setter. (Turns out that this example is pretty much
how properties are defined in Objective-C.)

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/