T[new]

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sun Aug 9 17:40:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:21:31 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> bearophile wrote:
>>> 2. make arrays implementable on .net
>>  I don't care of such thing. dotnet already has C# and C# is probably
>> better than D, and it's similar anyway. So I don't think people will
>> use D on dotnet. So even if creating a D for dotnet can be positive,
>> I don't want D2 to change its design to allow a better implementation
>> on dotnet.
>
> Even if you're correct that D.net is pointless, and I don't agree with
> that assessment, I think the problems implementing D arrays on .net will
> show up elsewhere in attempts to support other targets. So I think it's
> a "canary" issue rather than a .net one.

But (IIRC) it's not actually a canary. .NET has slices and there's no
'self-contained' implementation problem. The issue was that the .NET
library wasn't written with slices (.NET, D or otherwise) in mind, so
conversions to/from slices were required.