Unit test practices in Phobos

Mon Aug 10 03:25:59 PDT 2009

I just filed a bug report (3240) that describes a case where IFTI is
used in Phobos, and where this causes errors when the function is used
with a different type than the one used in the unittest. (The well known
"IFTI doesn't work with implicit conversions" problem.) I have a strong
suspicion that there are many other cases like this waiting to be
discovered.

I have encountered such errors in my own code many times, and lately
I've been trying to get into the habit of writing unittests for all (or
at least more than one) types. Not full-fledged functionality tests,
mind you -- something like this is usually sufficient:

   T foo(T)(T x) if (isFloatingPoint!T) { return x + 1.0; }

   unittest
   {
       // Test different types
       alias foo!float foo_float;
       alias foo!double foo_double;
       alias foo!real foo_real;

       // Test functionality
       assert (foo(2.0) == 3.0);
   }

For the cases where any type is allowed (or a lot of them, at least)
even this can become a time-consuming task. In these cases it should at
least be possible to make a representative selection of types to check.

I just wanted to recommend this as "good practice" to all, but
especially to the Phobos authors. In my experience this catches a lot of
bugs which are otherwise hard to spot.

-Lars