SSE, AVX, and beyond

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:58:15 PDT 2009

Eljay wrote:
> As cent/ucent, should a keyword be reserved for 256?  512?  1024?

> Most programming languages are loathe to add new keywords, because that has the chance to impact existing code.
>
> So the time to add keywords for D 2.0(alpha) is now, since the language is in alpha.
>
> For 128-bit signed/unsigned int, D has reserved cent and ucent.  Perfect for working with UUIDs.  But not implemented yet.

Is there ANY use case where you'd need a 256-bit integer instead of a
BigInteger? Even 128 is a bit dodgy. UUIDs and what not are identifiers,
not numbers, so have no problem being stored in a struct wrapping a ubyte[].

I agree compilers should support 256+ bit _data_... But doing so with an
entirely new numeric data-type is probably a bad idea. Special treatment
for certain constructs and library support is a much better idea.