Call stack mechanism

Brad Roberts braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com
Fri Aug 14 14:21:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Joshua Moore-Oliva wrote:

> I am doing research on multi-threaded call stack mechanisms, and in
> addition to academic papers, I am surveying what mechanisms existing
> languages use. Does D use a mechanism other than the standard C-pthread
> style "one stack is allocated on thread creation for each thread, and if
> that space is exhausted it is considered an error without recovery"? If
> so, could you detail your call stack mechanism?
>
> Thanks, Joshua Moore-Oliva

Answering carefully, neither C, C++ nor D define how threads behave.
Both C++ and D intend to but even there I don't think they define the
specifics of stack usage but rather leave that to the ABI to define.

However, practically speaking.. yes, D follows in the footsteps of C and
defers that to the pthread libraries for the most part.  See the other

Later,
Brad