The future of D 1.x

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 21:01:53 PDT 2009

Dominik Wrote:

> Is there any or there will be a "big switch" to 2.x once it is considered
> final/stable?

I already made the switch to D2 almost a year ago, and definitely wont be going back to D1. I didn't need to make many changes to my custom runtime either, the ABI between the two versions is for the most part the same.

I must say I was a bit confused with the added const and immutable qualifiers at first, but now I couldn't live without them. The shared qualifier is making me drool too, I can't wait until it is implemented properly.

D1 was enough to make me an instant fan of the language and switch the planning of a few personal projects from C++ to D. D2 was what really made me dig headfirst nearly fulltime in the language.

I don't think D1 will vanish after D2 hits final, because it's an easier language to deal with, but D2 will most likely attract more programmers in the long run, especially if it continues getting better at concurrent programming.