It's awfully quiet

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 19:39:59 PDT 2009

Jason House Wrote:

> Jeremie Pelletier Wrote:
>
> > Paul D. Anderson Wrote:
> >
> > > It's awfully quiet on the newsgroup today. Does that mean Walter is busy getting the new release ready?
> > >
> > > Or does it only mean I'm not getting new posts :(
> > >
> > > Suspiciously,
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > It IS awfully quiet this week. I hope a new release is soon, I can't wait for the shared qualifier to be working properly on classes and structs. The new T[new] arrays are sexy too!
>
> I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but here are other things I know is going on:
> 1. An updated gdb patch was submitted. It was tested against the upcoming 2.032 release (and maybe the D1 equivalent?). Walter has made some tweaks to how debug info is written.
> 2. Bartosz is rewriting thread related stuff. He has an upcoming blog on reference counting which is part of his implementation. As part of this, I know Bartosz got a few shared related bugs fixed. I'm unsure if they're in bugzilla or not...

Yeah I have been reading Bartosz's blog a lot lately, I especially liked his entries on thin-locks and the use of shared qualifiers, which is why I can't wait to toy with his concepts once D fully supports the primitives to implement them.

The recent thread about CPUs/GPUs also is of big interest, I really like Sweeney's concept of having four different processing models to form an all-around framework. I will definitely be working on an implementation soon.