Notepad++

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 12:40:37 PDT 2009

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:23:56 +0100, Stewart Gordon wrote:
<snip>
>> Is this anything like how Scintilla works?
>
> Exactly.  There is a 32-bit "style" known for every character, plus
> another 32-bit field associated with every line.  A lexer is free to use
> these fields for any purpose, except the lower byte of a style defines
> the characters' color.

Does it keep around in memory the style of every character, or only the
32-bit field associated with the line so that the lexer can re-style the
characters on repaint/scroll?

<snip>
>> [DelimitedToken9]
>> Start = '
>> End = '
>> Esc = \
>> Type = Char
>> SpanLines = No
>> Nest = No
>>
>> There, we have all of D1 covered now, and not a regexp in sight.
>
> Yes and no, because your ad-hoc format doesn't cover subtle differences
> between C and D strings.  Like C strings don't support embedded EOLs.

I don't understand.  How does SpanLines not achieve this?

Then what _does_ SpanLines achieve according to whatever conclusion
you've come to?

> Though you may consider this minor.
>
>> <snip>
>>> Basically yes, but they're going to be much more complex.  3Lu...5 is
>>> also a range.  0x3e22.f5p6fi is a valid floating-point number.  And
>>> still, regexps don't nest.  Don't you want to highlight DDoc sections
>>> and macros?
>> That would be nice as well, as would being able to do things with
>> Doxygen comments.  But let's not try to run before we can walk.
>
> This assumes that TextPad could run at some point.

You're right - it turns out TP doesn't get all the D floating point
notations right.  It appears that TP has hard-coded the syntax of C
numeric literals.  I must've just not noticed since I had never before
changed the number colour from the same as the default text colour.

Maybe we do want regexps for all these floating point notations after all.

> ;)  This is exactly where I'm sceptical.  I think that when it runs
> it'll have so many weird rules and settings that it won't be fun
> anymore.  And they won't be powerful enough for anything authors
> didn't consider anyway.

Maybe someone can come up with something....

Stewart.