escaping pointer to scope local array: bug or not?

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 18 14:52:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:54:27 -0700, Robert Fraser
<fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Jacques wrote:
>> ship/sell D libraries in binary format.
>
> Does anyone sell static libraries anymore? There are too many problems
> with static linking for that to be very viable. Most libraries I've seen
> are sold as DLLs.

I don't know about selling, but (for instance) NVIDIA's CUDA shipped as a
pair of static and dynamic libraries. For a long time, runtime linking
wasn't possible with however they did the DLLs so you had to use the
static libs.

But, whole program/escape analysis also has to have access to the DLL's
source code, to work, since it has to check/know what each function does
with its input arguments.