OT - Which Linux?

Michiel Helvensteijn m.helvensteijn.remove at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:48:01 PDT 2009

Paul D. Anderson wrote:

> I'm going to add Linux to my PC to get a dual-boot configuration. (I'm
> tired of sloooow start ups and want to tap into the great tools
> available.) The tutorial I'm looking at suggests Ubuntu. Is there a
> significant difference in Linux implementations? Is Ubuntu one of the
> better ones? Does it make a difference for running D2?

It depends on what you want and how much experience you have. Ubuntu is
certainly a good one to start with. Or one of its flavors. E.g. if you like
KDE, go for Kubuntu.

I myself have never looked back since I started using Gentoo. A bit more
advanced. But a great way to learn the internals of Linux. It has a lot of
online documentation and a helpful community. It also makes my system
blazing fast, since every package is compiled from source.

There's really no difference between distro's when it comes to running,
well, most any linux application.

--
Michiel Helvensteijn