OT - Which Linux?

JPF johannespfau at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:17:31 PDT 2009

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Paul D. Anderson Wrote:
>
>> I'm going to add Linux to my PC to get a dual-boot configuration. (I'm tired of sloooow start ups and want to tap into the great tools available.) The tutorial I'm looking at suggests Ubuntu. Is there a significant difference in Linux implementations? Is Ubuntu one of the better ones? Does it make a difference for running D2?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your hellp.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> As pointed out, package management and available packages tend to be the only differences from each distro. Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora tend to have the most auto-configuration/GUI.
>
> I personally use Debian but it really doesn't matter if you intend to learn Linux you can expect to be reinstalling and you may as well try another distro when you do.
>
> The most important tip, create a separate partition for /home.
>
> As for space requirements. Others may have other input but these are the rules I find reasonable for minimum space.
>
> Main partition, /, will not likely exceed 10GiB
> Swap can be 1GiB
Note that swap might be used for suspend to disk, it's therefore often
advised to make swap at least as big as your available ram.
> /home depends on if Linux becomes your primary OS. 100MiB is probably the minimum, but then you'd just get annoyed :) want to share files with Windows you can make /home 2GiB and mount a Windows partition which you can symbolic link in /home ($ ln -s /mnt/win /home/user/files)

I'd also use an seperate /boot with a simple file system, for example
ext2, because Grub might have problems with your root filesystem if you
use ext4/xfs. 100mb should be enough (depends on how many kernels you
want to keep, 15mb per kernel is common)

However too many partitions can get complicated as well..