OT - Which Linux?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 13:36:32 PDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:11:14 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:h6j06p$24vr$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> - how the distro deals with patented and closed source software. (mp3,
>> dvd,
>> flash, video drivers, etc)
>
> That's a good point. Ubuntu doesn't have mp3, dvd, and (I think) flash
> out-of-the-box, and I found them to be a royal pain in the ass to get
> working. I've heared of "SuperOS" that is apperently just Ubuntu
> pre-packaged with all that stuff and some other things people have found
> be surprisingly missing from a default Ubuntu. I haven't actually tried
> it
> though.

I had the same experience with Fedora as well.

What I've found is that there is a site called rpmfusion which supplies
rpms for software that Fedora won't touch.  All you have to do is point
your OS' update urls at rpmfusion and you get all those capabilities
through the standard yum update tools.  They separate them into two
categories -- nonfree and free (nonfree and free corresponding to
licenses, not cost).

There's probably an equivalent Ubuntu site, but I haven't used Ubuntu yet,
so I'm not sure.

-Steve