OT - Which Linux?

Fri Aug 21 01:04:12 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> Tip: If you have a 64-bit processor I would still recommend you
>> install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu if you intend to use it mainly
>> for coding. DMD is strictly a 32-bit compiler, and any library you
>> want to use must also be 32-bit. Keeping a separate tree of 32-bit
>> libraries in a 64-bit Ubuntu installation is possible (or should be,
>> using the ia32-* packages), but I hear it's a pain.
>
> I have 64 bit Ubuntu, use it to develop 32 bit apps, and haven't had
> much problems.

Yeah, I do too, and I haven't had that much problems either. But my
needs are simple. :)

For me, at first, it was enough to install the ia32-libs package plus
some of the GCC multilib packages. But then, after a while, I found
myself needing other libraries (BLAS and LAPACK) of which 32-bit
versions weren't present in the package repository of my 64-bit Ubuntu.
So I had to manually install them in a separate location from the 64-bit
ones.

For two rather simple libraries that isn't really much of a hassle, but
if you are, say, a game developer, and need a sound library, a 2D
graphics library, a 3D graphics library, a networking library, etc. etc.
etc. it all adds up.

I hate installing things manually, and if possible I *always* use the
package manager. But maybe that's just me. :)

-Lars