D features - wanna start project

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:47:27 PDT 2009

toki wrote:

> Hi,
> I love D, and after using Java for years I want to switch back to D.
> I'm too lazy to google, and so wanna ask you.
> 1. Is D still under development ? Is it still supported ?
> 2. Which GUI lib would you suggest - which is the most robust
> implementation ? 3. Are there any OpenGL bindings ? Are they stable ?
> 4. I often use HashMap, HashSet, TreeMap, TreeSet. Do they have
> counterparts in D ?
>
> Best Regards
> Thorsten

1) D is under heavy development and has branched into a stable (frozen)
version D1 and alpha, backwards incompatible D2. For D1 there is the dmd
compiler and ldc compiler (supports also 64 bit but not windows).

4) For D1 there is an alternative library incompatible with phobos: tango.
It is comprehensive and has high performance, also a good collections
library.

2) The big ones are dwt (port of swt), wxWindows, gtkd and qtd. I think most
stable is currently gtkd, but I'm not sure. Hybrid might also be interesting
for a game.

3) Yes, derelict offers a plethora of game-oriented bindings to common c
libraries and is very popular. It also has an ODE binding.

links:
www.dsource.org/projects/ldc
www.dsource.org/projects/derelict
www.dsource.org/projects/tango