Turkish 'I's can't D either

Ali Cehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 00:47:48 PDT 2009

Rainer Deyke Wrote:

> This appears to be a library issue to me.

I started to see this at a more fundamental level. The Unicode letter I (dotless capital i) has two possible lowercases and letter i has two possible uppercases. The chain of some historical events appears to have produced a crippled system: the application can't know how to lowercase or uppercase those.

Having three separate 'i's would keep things elegant and correct, but the ASCII i and I have been in use for Turkish documents for decades now.

> I know ICU can use different case mappings for different locales, but I
> don't think it has D bindings.

Under my limited understanding, that seems to be in contradiction with what Walter mentions in the other comment: locales or no locales? I will investigate more. :)

Thanks!
Ali