D should disallow forward references

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Aug 26 12:50:01 PDT 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> That's surely exactly the situation Walter is in. As someone who has had a
> run in with legal threats before, I can understand his reluctance to take even
> what might seem like a non-risk to an outsider.
>
> When lawyers can be involved, the only winning move is not to play :)

Yeah, I've had people rebrand my stuff as their own. I've had people try
to get me to incorporate (and pay them royalties for) stuff they've
stolen and patched from others. I've had people falsely accuse me of
distributing their code. I even had one outfit accuse me of selling
their code - code which turned out their engineers had stolen from me!
I've had lawyers run me through the wringer vetting my code. I've
indemnified people that yes, I really did write it. I once had to prove
ownership by explaining why variables had strange names, while the other
claimant sat there blankly.