OT - Which Linux?

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Fri Aug 28 07:55:10 PDT 2009

Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:18:57 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu thusly wrote:

> Same here! And the step looked unconceivable just a couple months
> earlier. I remember how a friend who was in the beginning stages of
> Linux asked me several times and very incredulously: "What do you mean
> you don't have Windows at all on your laptop?"

Linux has matured a lot since the early days. When I first tried it, it
took me 4 years and 2 PC upgrades to get a compatible graphics card which
was able to display anything other than the 80x25 text mode and
320x200x4b on xfree86. No, I don't want to manually type some weird bit
counts and internal clock frequencies ever again!

I bought my first nvidia card in 1999 and everything has worked almost
flawlessly since then. And that's not even the worst part, 10 years ago
there was no ntfs write support, many sound drivers sucked, hotplug
sucked, 56k internal modem drivers sucked, even the mouse drivers acted
randomly, fscking ext2 (ext3 didn't exist yet!) was dreadfully slow, and
the distro cds came with broken compiler packages. The fresh new
installation was mostly useful for learning bash and perl, but not much
more, a graphical desktop would have been something awesome.