Reference value of structs not optimized or inlined?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:56:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Walter
Bright<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>
>> You're addressing the 'const' issue, but you haven't addressed the
>> OP's issue: that 'ref', for whatever reason, prevents inlining. Const
>> aside, why is this so?
>
> Because I never updated the inlining code to handle it.

Wow.  That's it?  So let's get it done already!  This is really a
shame to have this hanging around in a language whose biggest selling
point over the competition is speed.   It's been shown many times that
DMD's failure to inline ref args has significant impact (~10%) on the
performance of numerical code.  If you can easily give these kinds of
code a 10% boost without too much effort then that's a big win in my
opinion.

--bb