Reference value of structs not optimized or inlined?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 14:17:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:51:03 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Walter
>> Bright<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>> Because I never updated the inlining code to handle it.
>>  Well I'm glad it's that simple, and I'm sure Jeremie is too ;)
>
> There are a lot of D specific optimization opportunities that are left
> undone for now.

This is fine with me.  I think the OP just wants to be sure that not
inlining functions with ref args isn't a design decision.

I think these kinds of limitations make people more sour than others
because D lacks a manual inlining mechanism, with the explanation that the
compiler knows how to inline better.  Clearly, the compiler isn't there
yet, and I understand why, I just wanted to bring to light why this might
be a thorn in some sides.

-Steve