Reference value of structs not optimized or inlined?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Aug 29 15:28:15 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> I think these kinds of limitations make people more sour than others
> because D lacks a manual inlining mechanism, with the explanation that
> the compiler knows how to inline better.

C++ lacks it, too. The "inline" keyword is a hint which the compiler is
free to ignore - the C++ compiler can also inline functions with no such
annotation.

> Clearly, the compiler isn't
> there yet, and I understand why, I just wanted to bring to light why
> this might be a thorn in some sides.

Off the top of my head, I could list at least a hundred things people
list as why they don't use D. I'd like to knock all those reasons down,
and each release makes progress in doing so.

But it is worthwhile to bring these things up. It helps in trying to
gauge their relative importance.