program for building the program

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Dec 1 06:02:40 PST 2009

"Gzp" <galap at freemail.hu> wrote in message
news:hf2k9a$2l54$1 at digitalmars.com...

> So to designing template(generic) code, a simplified language should be
> created that generates the actual source. So the border b/n the two
> language can be made more explicit and fewer questions arose.

The problem with that, aside from the increase in the grammar's complexity,
is that anytime you want to be able to do something at both runtime and
compile-time, you'd have to write two separate implementations of the same
thing, which carries with it all the problems assisiated with breaking DRY.
Plus then that would create a need to write meta-meta-functions that
generate both the runtime and compile-time versions of the same function.
CTFE (and better yet, Nemerle's way, at least from what I've seen of it), is
just a better approach.

> The compiler also should provide readably output of the generated code.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I definitely want a compiler
switch that outputs the resulting D code after all the mixins and such are
applied.