Tagging

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:33:31 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sean Kelly, el  1 de diciembre a las 11:52 me escribiste:
>> Leandro Lucarella Wrote:
>>
>> > Speaking of improving the VCS usage, how about tagging?
>>
>> An easy intermediate step would be to include the SVN revision numbers
>> of Phobos ad Druntime when a release is packaged.  In fact, the
>> makefiles could probably dump this information somewhere and have it
>> built into the libraries, thanks to the mixin file feature.  Maybe I'll
>> add a version string to the Runtime object for this (at least for
>> Druntime).  In Phobos, I guess this could go in std.compiler, though
>> there has to be a better place for it.
>
> I think that would be nice too, but tagging is easy enough, I don't know
> if you have any release script, but if you do, tagging can be
> automatically done in that script.

Perhaps Walter just doesn't really know what tags are or what they are good for.

So here's the doc for them:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s06.html

Key example:

  svn copy http://svn.example.com/repos/calc/trunk \
           http://svn.example.com/repos/calc/tags/release-1.0 \
                  -m "Tagging the 1.0 release of the 'calc' project."

(creates the tagged version with tag "release-1.0").

--bb