Phobos packages a bit confusing

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Dec 1 22:18:30 PST 2009

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:58:25 -0500, bearophile wrote:

> Rainer Deyke:
>> "open" by itself is ambiguous.  What are you opening?  A window?  A
>> network port?  I think the word "file" needs to be in there somewhere
>> to disambiguate.
>
> When you program in Python you remember that open is a built-in function
> to open files :-) When you want to open other things you import other
> names from some module. So this ambiguity usually doesn't introduce
> bugs. It' a well known convention. Few well chosen conventions (sensible
> defaults) save you from a lot of useless coding.

These default values are sometimes very annoying. For instance almost in
every game you have a game object hierarchy and the super class of game
objects usually conflicts with built-in 'Object'. If I write an adventure
game and some event opens a dungeon door, open() suddenly deals with
files. Also IIRC Python has built-in print() command. What if I want to
redefine this to mean printing to a graphical quake like game console.

Namespaces in general seem rather useful. I hate the php like 'there's a
flat global scope and everything is a free function approach'. It's
annoying me each time I use phobos.