new version

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Dec 2 13:31:12 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella, el  2 de diciembre a las 17:53 me escribiste:
>> Walter Bright, el  2 de diciembre a las 12:23 me escribiste:
>>> Here's the gcc bug list with 5,442 open issues:
>>>
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=
>>>
>>> and the d bug list with 1,403 open issues:
>>>
>>> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Bug+Number&remtype=asdefault&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
>> I'd like to compare the user base and calculate the bugs/users ratio.
>> I guess GCC's would be orders of magnitude smaller.
>
> And BTW, GCC implements 7 languages (at least 7 languages are present as
> bugzilla components: ada, c, c++, fortran, java, objc and objc++), so
> doing a rough estimative, 5442/7 ~= 800, less than DMD, which implements
> only D.
>
> Seriously Walter, you *can't* possibly compare DMD with GCC, it's almost
> funny when you do it =P

I think it's a fair comparison in this case. The original poster had
said that he couldn't use DMD because it has so many open bugs. I would
presume that he can't use GCC either, for the same reason. But probably
"total number of open bugs" is not the real criterion; as you say, a
mindless comparison gives quite ridiculous results (suggesting that dmd
is more stable than gcc!)