new version

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 2 14:46:33 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Walter Bright, el  2 de diciembre a las 13:29 me escribiste:
>>> And BTW, GCC implements 7 languages (at least 7 languages are present as
>>> bugzilla components: ada, c, c++, fortran, java, objc and objc++), so
>>> doing a rough estimative, 5442/7 ~= 800, less than DMD, which implements
>>> only D.
>>>
>>> Seriously Walter, you *can't* possibly compare DMD with GCC, it's almost
>>> funny when you do it =P
>>>
>> My post was in response to the bug *count* being a showstopper. My
>> point is it's absurd, because you can always slice the data to mean
>> whatever you want it to mean. For example, many of the "bugs" in the
>> dmd list are enhancement requests, bugs in the library (not the
>> compiler), bugs in the documentation (not the compiler), etc.
>
> Sure, but your comparison with GCC just makes things more absurd, not
> less. I completely agree with you that bug count (alone) is not a good
> measure of compiler quality, I just don't agree with the GCC comparison
> to prove it.

I *meant* to show it was absurd by showing the GCC bug list.

> I hope you can change the license some time, and you start
> encouraging other people involvement more actively, so the number of
> contributors to DMD keep growing.

I encourage other people to submit patches. Don has been especially
productive in this. But I still want to be the gateway to getting them
integrated into the trunk, because otherwise I will lose track of how it
works, and because sometimes patches are not quite the right place to
fix the problem, although they are usually close and still very helpful.