Breaking compatibilyt hurts

torhu no at spam.invalid
Wed Dec 2 19:03:58 PST 2009

On 03.12.2009 1:13, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> This has come up as one issue for adoption to D. D2.x is on its way, unstable, and D1.x is getting the ax. While Walter has said that the compiler will continue to get support, no one in the community knows what the library support will be like. I came across an article where even Python wasn't chosen for a project because of the eminent release of Python 3. He also dismisses Ruby and Clojure for other complaints people have expressed about D.
>
> --  http://postabon.posterous.com/why-i-chose-common-lisp-over-python-ruby-and

Looks like that guy has a thing for Lisp, so he came up with a bunch of
excuses why he shouldn't use anything else.

The thing with D 1 is that it hasn't really taken off.  So it's not
unreasonable to sacrifice D 1 comaptibility if it can help make D 2
better, obviously in the hope that D 2 will take off.  Note how the
title of Andrei's book is NOT "The D 2.0 Programming Language."