Breaking compatibilyt hurts

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 2 21:42:12 PST 2009

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Well, part of the problem is that you can use all of those arguments
> against D (That includes the complaint about Lisp). Maybe not if you
> just look at D1 or just D2, and many times the complaints aren't as
> big an issue as they are made out to be once you start using the
> language. And yes, Lisp did seem an odd choice considering why he didn't
> choose the one of the other languages.

My take on this is he wanted to use Lisp and went looking for a
justification.

I have long experience with people who say "I won't use your product
because of X." If you then resolve X, they still won't use the product,
because X was not the real reason.

It's far more productive to work with people who already use the product
and try to resolve issues that they are actually faced with.