Breaking compatibilyt hurts

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:16:00 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky, el  4 de diciembre a las 10:03 me escribiste:
> > The second release with the change has the new/removed feature. That gives
> > people time to fix their programs and try the new feature without breaking
> > anything for several months (a minor Python version is released each ~9
> > months aprox.). I certainly hope D2 doesn't follow the D1 path (before D2
> > was forked), introducing new features each release without notice and
> > breaking backwards compatibility.
>
> If you're not ready for a breaking change, why not just stick with the older
> version until you're ready? Seems a lot simpler.

Because nobody wants to keep maintaining really old versions. AFAIK Python
only do bugfix releases for the latest 2 releases (with the exception of
the new Python 3 major version, in this case I think more release are
maintained).

If you keep using an old Python version, you will never get a bugfix.