the Python moratorium

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Dec 5 06:11:46 PST 2009

Walter Bright:
> http://jessenoller.com/2009/12/04/pythons-moratorium-lets-think-about-this/

That blog post doesn't list the costs for Python of that stasis, some developer may leave looking for more interesting grassy fields to work on.

I agree that D2 has to give time to people to create a D2 compiler with llvm back-end, and I agree that D2 needs some time to refine its implementation: to remove bugs, write documentation, clean semantics, remove sharp corners, battle-test the standard library, finish to implement correctly some of the planned but not fully implemented features, improve efficiency and speed of several details, refractor the front-end into two layers to allow it better grafting on the llvm backend, and so on.

But D is not as widespread as Python and it's not as polished & smooth as Python 2.6, so some small changes may turn out to be necessary, for example to remove some of the design mistakes.

Bye,
bearophile