switch case for constants-only?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 13:19:56 PST 2009

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:08:00 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> I just noticed in D1 that the values for the cases in a switch must be
> known
> at compile-time (btw, the docs don't seem somewhat vague on that). Is
> this
> also true in D2? If so, I don't suppose we could get that changed before
> the
> book? It's a real PITA for dynamic code.

you mean a real PITA to use if instead of switch?  AFAIK, switch is the
way it is to foster different optimizations by the compiler.  I don't know
if optimizations can be performed if the cases are dynamic.  Also, what
happens if two of the cases are dynamically the same?  I think one of the
optimizations is that the compiler can reorder the cases to make the
testing more streamlined.

-Steve