switch case for constants-only?

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Sat Dec 5 16:31:12 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> wrote in message
> news:hfenkl$veq$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I assume the same rule applies to 'goto case'?
>
> I think that amounts to a computed goto, which I don't think D currently
> has, so that probably just wouldn't compile.

So case labels could be variables but labels for 'goto case' would be
constant?  That seems backwards and inconsistent.  It also fails to
address this:

int i = 0, j = 0;
switch (j) {
case i:
  break;
case j:
  // Never reached.
}

> But with or without computerd goto, this sounds like a reason to use an
> actual fallthrough command instead of "goto case".

Not really.  If you want fallthrough, use 'goto case' without a label,
like this:

goto case;

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com