lazy redux

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 23:43:19 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Should we sack lazy? I'd like it to have a reasonable replacement. Ideas
> are welcome!
>
> Andrei

According to the doc page:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/lazy-evaluation.html
you (and/or Tomasz Stachowiak) were the one who suggested it in the
first place. How'd it go for you? :)

In haskell land they love lazy evaluation. Lazy evaluation can have many
advantages but depending on the situation can be wrote using alternates
that d provides:

mixins -- allows turning a string into expression at a later time
delegates -- only called when used explicitly
logical ('&&' and '||') operators already only evaluate what is needed

If it stays though I would prefer a different syntax so where we already
have:

char[] delegate() dg
char[] function() fp

then something like this would be more consistent and intuitive:

char[] expression exp

rather than the current:

lazy char[] exp