yank unary '+'?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Dec 7 04:00:33 PST 2009

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>
>>> What will removing it gain you?
>> Sancta simplicitas.
>
> Hm.. I don't really buy that argument.
>
> I see you and Walter removing/witholding things (incomparability operators, logical operator overloading) from the language, because: "I can't imagine a use for it and removing it makes the language simpler."
>
> Meanwhile, you're keeping C syntax for function-pointers around,

C declaration syntax is on the chopping block. Walter hasn't actually
removed any features yet from DMD releases.

and I'm missing syntactic sugar for my tribool.

> The fact that you or I think there isn't a use for a feature, doesn't mean there isn't one. Programmers keep finding new and unintended uses for language features, which is a good thing. And if you want to simplify the language, I wouldn't start with the unary + when you've still got all that C stuff around.

Yes, but D is getting *really* big. The language complexity is a
problem. We need to cut out everything we can possibly can. Unary + is a
nice example of something that is almost completely useless.