lazy redux

Michal Minich michal.minich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 05:51:29 PST 2009

Hello Denis,

>> 1. auto t = new Thread ( { a=42 } );
>> or auto t = new Thread ( () { a=42 } );
> It already works, just try it (but don't forget to put a semicolon at
> the  end).
>
>> 2. array.findAll (arr, (item) { item.contains ("abc") } ); 3. foo (
>> (a, b) { a + b } );
>>
>> 4. array.findAll (arr, (item) { return item.contains ("abc"); } );
>>
>> I'm not proposing this syntax (maybe I probably should, but I have
>> feeling I would not be first). It may not even be possible to parse
>> it,  but seems to me more similar to how currently functions are
>> written. In  this setting {exp} or {stm} is not *special* case.
>>
> I believe it would work. And yes, it was already proposed by many
> others.

it works with two differences:

1. the semicolon is required, even if the body consist only of one expression.
This is a minor detail.
2. more importantly - parameter types must be specified explicitly. I don't
understand why type of b cannot be inferred in this example:

void foo (void delegate (int a) dg)
{
    dg(1);
}

void main ()
{
    foo ( (int b)  { writeln (b); } );
}

Does the type inference has problem with template code or some other combination
of features...?