deprecating the body keyword

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Dec 8 16:02:27 PST 2009

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:44:24 +0100, Lutger wrote:

> retard wrote:

>>> Search for "I hate my body".
>>> That was the title of the thread started a while back.
>>
>> Yes, yet another thread started but basically nothing happened. How
>> frustating it is that Walter never expresses his intentions before a
>> new release? This kind of mentality is from early 20th century.
>> Nowadays all agile projects clearly define the goals for the next
>> sprint.
>
> That's usually more of a business thing though, when you write the
> features other people prioritize.
>
> Besides, image Walter responding to all requests, these threads
> generally explode pretty fast. How much time do you think he will have
> left to actually work on the compiler? I wonder how Andrei manages his
> level of participation in the newsgroups.

I don't expect him to respond to all requests, most of the new threads
are silly bikeshedding. But there are often megathreads with 500+ posts.
If some feature seems so important to the majority and especially to
veteran users, I expect some kind of opinion also from the language's
author. I expect the Andrei's book to have a major effect on the release
date of D2. A clear roadmap is definitely something that would help now.

You somehow seem to assume that his only work is to write the compiler.
As an author of the language he indeed also has to make all kinds of
design decisions. In the end it is Walter who's in charge of everything.
Andrei's participation surely helps, he has lots of experience and brain
capacity, often also great, perhaps even radical, new ideas. Walter never
expresses his opinions nor intentions. I cannot know by inspecting dmd
what d actually should do since those features can also be bugs.