deprecating the body keyword

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:25:18 PST 2009

retard wrote:

> I don't expect him to respond to all requests, most of the new threads
> are silly bikeshedding. But there are often megathreads with 500+ posts.
> If some feature seems so important to the majority and especially to
> veteran users, I expect some kind of opinion also from the language's
> author. I expect the Andrei's book to have a major effect on the release
> date of D2. A clear roadmap is definitely something that would help now.

Those threads of 500+ posts are usually because the community doesn't
have consensus on what to do. Though if Walter/Andrei are the
only ones against the idea then the thread could be that large. Though
many of the ideas in those threads get snuck into a later release.

I think it is good that Walter pushes back on the community as hard as he
does. It of course would be nice if final decision wasn't packed as a
surprise for the next release (now commit). Who knows maybe next release
will have non-nullable types as the default.

Personally I don't have an issue with the body keyword, nor that order
is mandated. Having a random order to in, out seems pointless.