Various shared bugs

Graham St Jack Graham.StJack at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 8 20:23:02 PST 2009

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:45:17 -0500, Jason House wrote:

> So, after months of avoiding shared, I decided to see if I could remove
> all my casting away of shared.  It looks like things are still pretty
> buggy (or at least not particularly easy to use).
>
> "is(T : shared)" gives a parse error
> "alias shared T U" silently does the wrong thing.
>    (Use "alias shared(T) U" instead)
> "xxxx is not callable using argument types ()" is just awful.
> Typically, it means you're calling a non-shared function with a shared
> type or a shared function with a non-shared type.  I hit into a case
> where I got that message with a shared type and a shared method, but I
> have mad no attempt to reproduce.
> The error "Can not implicitly convert expression of type(this) of type
> shared(xxx) to full.name.xxx" can pop up when defining shared this()
> constructor gives no line number where the offending usage occurs.
>
> I've backed out most of my pro-shared changes and will try again in a
> few months :(

I have also given up on shared and am also adopting a waiting strategy.

I would love to get some tips from anyone (like Walter, for example) who
thinks they have a way of using shared successfully.

My recent post on the subject got no meaningful responses - just one from
bearophile that was supportive, but alas not helpful.