"Almost there" version of TDPL updated on Safari Rough Cuts

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Dec 10 14:55:36 PST 2009

dsimcha Wrote:

> This is great for super-scalable concurrency, the kind you need for things like
> servers, but what about the case where you need concurrency mostly to exploit data
> parallelism in a multicore environment?  Are we considering things like parallel
> foreach, map, reduce, etc. to be orthogonal to what's being discussed here, or do
> they fit together somehow?

I think it probably depends on the relative efficiency of a message passing approach to one using a thread pool for the small-N case (particularly for very large datasets).  If message passing can come close to the thread pool in performance then it's clearly preferable.  It may come down to whether pass by reference is allowed in some instances.  It's always possible to use casts to bypass checking and pass by reference anyway, but it would be nice if this weren't necessary.