No D in Great Computer Language Shootout?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 11 14:07:31 PST 2009

== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS at lycos.com)'s article
> Bill Baxter:
> > D used to be there, but the folks running the shootout de-listed it
> > for some reason.
> > Maybe it was lack of a 64-bit compiler?
> I think the notgentle person that manages the Shootout site has removed D
because D programs were too much similar to the C programs. He is looking for very
different code, not slight variations.
> Bye,
> bearophile

Yeah, I think it would be much more interesting (for C++ as well as D) to see
benchmarks in idiomatic D style.  This will likely be slower than code written in
the C-like subset, as there is really not much reason why C-like D code should be
any slower than C.  However, it will give a better indication of how much the
abstractions present in D really cost if you choose to use them.