D2 GUI Libs

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Dec 12 08:28:38 PST 2009

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:13:39 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from retard (re at tard.com.invalid)'s article
>> Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:10:24 +0000, dsimcha wrote:
>> > 2.  Native look and feel.  IMHO this is very overrated.  I've never
>> > found that a Java-ish or GTK-ish or whatever look and feel instead of
>> > a native Win32 look and feel got in the way of me using a program
>> > effectively.
>> The win32 look and feel doesn't look native on linux/mac/solaris.
>
> Right, the implication here was that I mostly use Windows and I've never
> really cared if an application I use has a GTK-ish or Swing-ish or
> whatever look and feel, as long as the application is well-coded,
> responsive and does what I need. I'm speaking purely from personal
> opinion/experience here, but I don't understand why people care so much
> about platform-native look and feel as long as it works and is usable.

Well programs tend to be cross-platform these days. More like that in
*nix world, since the development toolchain is highly portable. I daily
use programs written by authors who favor Linux, *BSD, MacOS X, and
Windows. If everyone just made their programs use the theme and
conventions of their favorite OS, I would have to deal with 10+ different
GUIs in daily work.

I currently use Swing apps, AWT apps, SWT apps, GTK+ 2 apps, Qt 3 and Qt
4 apps, TCL/TK apps, run some games via wine (win32 gui), and some
applications even use the old legacy unix gui toolkits. Then some apps
like google chrome have their own kind of look and feel. Web applications
have proprietary custom look and feel. This is pretty confusing to me, at
least.