D2 GUI Libs

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Dec 12 14:03:28 PST 2009

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:14:18 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "BLS" <windevguy at hotmail.de> wrote in message
> news:hg0or1$2rtu$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 12/12/2009 18:44, dsimcha wrote:
>>> Because the Boost license doesn't require attribution for works only
>>> distributed
>>> in binary form.
>>
>> All these kitchen sink license issues are monkey buisiness. If you
>> don't care : make it public domain.
>
> I'm really tired of public domain constantly being tossed around as if
> it were actually a reasonable option:
>
> 1. If you put someting in PD, you're no longer legally allowed to claim
> that you actually wrote it (leave it to a government to try to redefine
> reality like that...). In other words, you're not allowed to state an
> actual fact about it.
>
> 2. Different countries define public domain differently, some countries
> don't define it, and others don't even have a concept of public domain
> at all.
>
> Adam also said there's a liability issue, but (IANAL) that would
> surprise me because AIUI, public domain is all about severing *all* ties
> between an author and their work. But then again, that's probably just
> one of those things that differs by country.
>
> The thing about zlib (or something like beerware) is that it's basically
> a version of public domain that *isn't* total crap.
>
>> if you want to share : make it GPL 3
>
> That's just BS. It's more like this:
>
> If you want to share *only* with people who, #1 also want to share
> everything they do with it, *and* #2 don't mind dealing with a
> fifty-foot wall of legalese gibberish that's completely impenetrable
> without shelling out bucks for a lawyer that'll probably cost them more
> than if you had just charged a basic fee in the first place: Make it
> GPL.

FWIW, I think the longest license conditions usually come with
proprietary applications. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to
use the software I just payed for.  IIRC if you use e.g. microsoft
messenger, you have to defend them in court if they insist. If you trust
the FSF and GPL, using it isn't that big a deal. Some IDEs even have
plugins that add the license text to all source files. Tagging a 10000
file project takes less than a second. In addition to that, just provide
a COPYING file with the distribution package.

> If you *just simply want to share*: Make it zlib, or maybe beerware or
> something like that.

It's silly so say that those are the only alternatives. If I plan to use
GPL or BSD, it's my personal choice and there's nothing you can do. The
desire to share with everyone is like sharing your genitals with every
(possibly HIV carrying person) person on earth. Sometimes it's a good
idea, sometimes it isn't.