Go rant

Mike Farnsworth mike.farnsworth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 18:31:24 PST 2009

bearophile Wrote:

> Sean Kelly:
> > If I had to guess I'd say that he's referring to that fact that value types in Java are second-class citizens.  The standard containers can only hold objects, so boxing is necessary,<
>
> Reading that page I have thought he wants all data to be managed by reference.

I think that's right, although he may have not realized one key thing:  value types are value types in Go (and in D) for performance reasons, as they are targeted towards a systems-ish level of application.  The nice thing about D is that, while you do have to memorize a few rules about what is default pass-by-value and what is pass-by-reference, D's templates and other language features likely get around most of the limitations and annoyances the author has.