The Demise of Dynamic Arrays?!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 06:42:26 PST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:25:11 -0500, S <S at s.com> wrote:

> Excuse me, because I haven't been active in the D community the last
> year due to school concerns.  However, I have been  fiddling with the
> language and on this newsgroups since 2001.
>
> As I understand it, dynamic arrays are going away  soon in D2.0 in favor
> of an ArrayBuilder class.
>
> I don't like it at all.  I want to stomp my feet and throw a temper
> tantrum.   As far as I am concerned, T[] has always been an
> array-builder.   Now, I'd appreciate some considering, and that you'll
> excuse my poor phrasing when it comes to terminology (I am not a trained
> computer scientist).

It's not going away.  The plan as I understand it(*) is to fix dynamic
array stomping problems, and make thread-local dynamic arrays append
efficiently without using the GC lock where possible.

-Steve

(*) I am not Walter Bright/Andrei Alexandrescu and so I do not have any
final word on what makes it into D2 or not, these are just speculations
 from communications I've been involved in.