TDPL goes out for preliminary review

merlin merlin at esilo.com
Wed Dec 16 13:55:12 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> TDPL, currently counting 398 pages including a small index, has entered
> editorial review this morning. The book draft includes everything except
> the threading chapter. I've marked the personal record of writing one
> chapter in one night :o).

Congratulations.  I must profess that over the last couple of months
I've been feeling a big uptick of enthusiasm about D2.  It is really
quit an amazing language and with library and tool support should be
able to deliver what C, C++, Java, C# (and lately Go) have not.

I did go through a period of skepticism about D leadership when I
realized that D2 was not really backwards compatible with D1 and had
trouble understanding why llvm hasn't played a bigger role in the long
term planning of the project.  I have since come around to the point of
view that my fears were mostly misplaced...D2 is something quite special
and I think ultimately will take hold.

Ok, enough gushing :-).

merlin