D growing pains (was Re: The Demise of Dynamic Arrays?!)

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:20:53 PST 2009

Kevin Bealer Wrote:

> retard Wrote:
>
> > Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:42:26 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >
> > Most likely Walter won't even tell what kind of arrays D2 will have.
> > Anything can happen. The final word is the undocumented executable you
> > can download when the book hits stores. Even then dmd's behavior isn't
> > the final word, it might as well be a bug.
>
> I find following D these days to be interesting but occasionally frustrating.  It's a little like talking to a teenager who is growing so fast intellectually that his opinions change every day.  You can't really argue with him because you don't know where he stands on anything if it's been more than a few days since the last conversation.

I think a good thing to look at is the DIP index page[1]. It shows that ideas are being added; that the community is being listened to. This has always been true in the past, but now there is something that better organizes and documents that the community does have influence on the language. It is very similar to FRL[2], but it is nice to see the DIP referenced[3] when it comes up for discussion.

[1] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs
[2] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList
[3] http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=103609