Go rant

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.eu
Fri Dec 18 07:43:35 PST 2009

On 2009-12-17 13:58:44 +0100, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> said:
> Most likely they have will have to wrap lambdas inside some kind of
> Function objects. I've read that even Scala would benefit from a more
> functional friendly VM. But Sun's focus is on JavaFX and dynamic
> languages now..

One of the first necessities for good functional programming on the JVM
would be support for tail call optimization. I believe the Scala 2.7.x
compiler performs this optimization only in the self-recursive case.

>From my first experiences with Scala for number crunching (machine
learning), is that it is very slow for non-trivial programs. Besides
that, it is the beauty of functional languages mixed with the mess of
Java and generics. And it ain't pretty.

-- Daniel