Go rant

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Dec 18 09:02:28 PST 2009

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:43:35 +0100, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> On 2009-12-17 13:58:44 +0100, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> said:
>> Most likely they have will have to wrap lambdas inside some kind of
>> Function objects. I've read that even Scala would benefit from a more
>> functional friendly VM. But Sun's focus is on JavaFX and dynamic
>> languages now..
>
> One of the first necessities for good functional programming on the JVM
> would be support for tail call optimization. I believe the Scala 2.7.x
> compiler performs this optimization only in the self-recursive case.
>
> From my first experiences with Scala for number crunching (machine
> learning), is that it is very slow for non-trivial programs. Besides
> that, it is the beauty of functional languages mixed with the mess of
> Java and generics. And it ain't pretty.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that. I don't think JVM or JVM languages
are any good for number crunching. Besides that, the Scala implementation
is probably quite immature at this point since it's so young.

I've only seen how Scala solves problems elegantly. These are from some
biased blog posts etc. Can you show one example that looks uglier in
Scala, but looks decent in D or some other language?